Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23
Author: Subject: RAN part 2
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 23-11-2018 at 03:15 PM

Tri-Lateral Mine Warfare Exercise Puts RAN Minehunters to the Test

(Source: Royal Australian Navy; issued Nov 22, 2018)

At the largest gathering of mine warfare dedicated vessels seen in Japanese waters, HMA Ships Gascoyne and Huon have joined with 22 ships from the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) and the United States Navy (USN) to participate in the first joint mine warfare exercise in the region, Exercise HYUGA NADA 18.

Over the next week the combined units will focus on conducting joint training in mine hunting, underwater explosive ordnance disposal, underwater mine disposal vehicle operations and joint interoperability activities.

For Gascoyne’s Operations Officer, Lieutenant Alex Rayner, the exercise is a unique and rewarding opportunity to test the Navy’s mine warfare skills in a challenging environment.

“We are four thousand miles from home conducting a mine warfare exercise with regional partners, something we haven’t had a chance to do before,” LEUT Rayner said.

A significant aspect of the exercise will be the diving operations and training in underwater explosive ordnance disposal.

Gascoyne’s Executive and Diving Officer, Lieutenant Jason Dawson noted that the conditions suited diving operations and would benefit training opportunities.

“We couldn’t have asked for a better day to dive, it can only add to the positive outcomes we expect from the experience,” LEUT Dawson said.

The RAN ships will also join with mine hunters from the JMSDF to deploy mine disposal vehicles as a key component of the search for underwater mines.

For Chief Petty Officer Mine Warfare Simon East it will be a chance to demonstrate his team’s capability in the search of underwater mines to other nations.

“This is what we are trained to do and it is great to put our skills on display,” CPO East said.

Additional activities during the exercise have included cross-decking for crew members to further share skills and experience, as well as ships boat operations, seamanship and navigation.

-ends-
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 23-11-2018 at 09:13 PM

BAE Systems confirms combat systems partners on Sea 5000

Jon Grevatt, Bangkok - IHS Jane's Defence Industry

22 November 2018

BAE Systems Australia has confirmed its selection of Lockheed Martin Australia and Saab Australia as partners to deliver combat systems integration in the programme to build Hunter-class frigates for the Royal Australian Navy (RAN).

The announcement, on 23 November, endorses an Australian government decision in 2017 to equip the new vessels with the Lockheed Martin Aegis combat system and a tactical interface to be developed by Saab Australia.

Jane's has previously reported that the combat system design is intended to integrate Australian-specified equipment with the Aegis system and ensure that the country retains control of key technologies.

These include Australian company CEA Technologies' CEAFAR2 multiband phased array radar and a Saab Australia 9LV-based 'Australian tactical interface'.

(140 of 349 words)
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 24-11-2018 at 08:44 PM

Hi, my name is Darren Grogan and I’m the Commanding Officer Designate of HMAS SUPPLY II. SUPPLY II was launched overnight in Spain and will be one of the Royal Australian Navy’s newest and most exciting capabilities. SUPPLY II is an Auxiliary Oil Replenishment (AOR) Ship and is based on the Spanish Navy's Cantabria class AORs. SUPPLY II (and her sister ship STALWART III) will replace HMA Ships SUCCESS and SIRIUS and will be the most capable replenishment ship in RAN history. Her primary role as an AOR is to carry fuel, dry cargo, water, food, ammunition, equipment and spare parts to provide operational support for the deployed naval or combat forces operating far from port on the high seas for longer periods. In addition to replenishment, SUPPLY II will also be used to combat against environmental pollution at sea, provide logistics support for the armed forces, and to support humanitarian and disaster relief (HADR) operations following a natural disaster.

SUPPLY II will continue the proud tradition and service of SUPPLY I, which was also built in Europe and sailed out to Australia. During her 23 years of service, SUPPLY I conducted over 3400 Replenishment At Sea (RAS) evolutions, provided support to the RNZN protest against French atmospheric nuclear testing, took part in the American bicentenary celebrations and provided much needed support in Darwin after Tropical Cyclone Tracy to name just a few of her achievements.

We are also honoured to continue the legacy of HMS SUPPLY, a 24m two masted sailing craft which arrived in Botany Bay on 18 January 1788 with the First Fleet. HMS SUPPLY was also the first ship to sail into Port Jackson, which is where SUPPLY II will be homeported. HMS SUPPLY spent four years as the only link between the Colony of Port Jackson and the outside world providing valuable supplies and stores to the people of Sydney. Interestingly our role in SUPPLY II is very similar to our ancestors 230 years ago in HMS SUPPLY.

The launch marks the beginning of a long but very exciting journey for those lucky enough to be part of the Commissioning Crew. Over the coming months as the capability continues to grow, the crew will slowly start to form and watch the evolution from afar, waiting patiently for the ship to reach our shores. We welcome you to follow us as we make this journey and create our own history and we look forward to sharing stories with our shipmates that served in SUPPLY I as new stories are created.

Great to see her back on the water! Standby for more footage as it becomes available.

STRENGTHEN THE SHIELD

unicorn

Mood: Resignedly Sceptical

[*] posted on 25-11-2018 at 01:28 PM

They kept that damned quiet.

I'd been looking for images and there was buggar all out there.

Then this

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed,
the lips acquire stains,
the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion
ADMK2

[*] posted on 25-11-2018 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unicorn  

Then this

Couldn’t be the fact they’d like to keep quiet how quick and efficient, not to mention CHEAP building ships in existing yards is, would it?

Compared to the way we do it...

In a low speed post-merge manoeuvring fight, with a high off-boresight 4th generation missile and Helmet Mounted Display, the Super Hornet will be a very difficult opponent for any current Russian fighter, even the Su-27/30
unicorn

[*] posted on 25-11-2018 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ADMK2  
Quote: Originally posted by unicorn  

Then this

Couldn’t be the fact they’d like to keep quiet how quick and efficient, not to mention CHEAP building ships in existing yards is, would it?

Compared to the way we do it...

They laid the keel block of Stalwart the following morning.

Nothing like us.

the lips acquire stains,
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 25-11-2018 at 08:38 PM

One word of caution here, Navantia were/are desperately short of work, so this contract is a Godsend to them. They have already released/fired hundreds of workers.............just saying.............
unicorn

[*] posted on 26-11-2018 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bug2  
One word of caution here, Navantia were/are desperately short of work, so this contract is a Godsend to them. They have already released/fired hundreds of workers.............just saying.............

If the public weren't likely to elect a bunch of Defence-hating imbeciles into Federal parliament, I'd say use the fact Navantia is desperate for work and get them to offer a deal for a third AOR.

the lips acquire stains,
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 26-11-2018 at 06:26 PM

They'd fall over themselves to get another AOR from the RAN.................
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 27-11-2018 at 09:22 AM

ASC highlights Collins-class sustainment risks

Jon Grevatt - IHS Jane's Defence Industry

26 November 2018

ASC has called for closer collaboration between the Australian programmes to sustain the RAN’s six Collins-class submarines (pictured here) and the Sea 1000 project to build 12 replacement platforms. Source: Commonwealth of Australia

Australian shipbuilder ASC has warned that the country's programme to build next-generation submarines under Project Sea 1000 could pose a serious risk to Australian capability to sustain its Collins-class platforms.

In a recent submission to the Australian Senate's Foreign Affairs, Defence, and Trade Legislation Committee, ASC pointed to concerns about the availability of human resources within Australia to support the Collins-class submarines given the large scale of the Sea 1000 project which features the construction of 12 boats.

In its submission, ASC also called for closer engagement between the Collins-class sustainment project and Sea 1000 to ensure that "one programme's success does not come at the expense of the other's failure".

ASC added that Australia's capability to sustain its six Collins-class submarines is framed around a wider industrial sector it terms as the country's "submarine enterprise". The company noted that Naval Group, the French shipbuilder that will partner ASC on the Sea 1000 project, is currently not part of this enterprise.

"As the Future Submarine [Sea 1000] programme gathers momentum, the submarine enterprise's ability to deliver the Collins-class capability will be tested by higher demands for key human resources such as senior submarine platform engineers and designers," said ASC in its submission.

"At present the Commonwealth's partner for the Future Submarine programme, Naval Group, is not part of the Australian submarine enterprise … While Naval Group remains separate from the submarine enterprise, its growth and impact on the sector poses a serious risk to a key Sovereign Industrial Capability Priority of the government - the Collins-class [submarines]."

ASC added that risks would be "substantially mitigated" by taking a wider "enterprise approach" to Australia's two-programme submarine sector. "Within this framework, innovative approaches to managing demand for key human resources, taking a best-for-nation approach across both programmes, would best ensure that risks to the Collins-class capability are fully mitigated," said ASC.

(333 of 677 words)
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 27-11-2018 at 09:49 AM

Navantia Launches Nuship Supply for the Royal Australian Navy

(Source: Navantia; issued Nov 23, 2018)

FERROL, Spain --- Navantia has launched today “Nuship Supply,” the first Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment (AOR) of a class of two for the Royal Australian Navy, according to contract signed in May 2016.

The ceremony was held at the Ferrol facilities at 4:15 pm coinciding with the high tide, and has counted with the attendance of Mrs. Jenny Barrett, as the godmother of the ship, the president of Navantia, Susana de Sarriá, the Ambassador of Australia to Spain, Julie-Ann Guivarra, and the Royal Australian Navy Chief of Navy, VA MJ Noonan.

VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/302467502

The president of Navantia was grateful to the Australian Navy for the confidence deposited in the Company that once again has demonstrated the aptitude to design and build the products and services for the most competitive markets, in time and quality. She added that launching a new ship, means that Navantia shows, once again, an enormous potential and with the upcoming Strategic Plan and the F110 frigates, will guarantee supporting these capacities in the future.

The two ships are based on the Spanish Navy ship “Cantabria” which will be tailored to fulfil specific Australian standards and requirements. The agreement with the Commonwealth of Australia also includes the sustainment of the two AOR ships for a period of five years.

This contract means a workforce of 3 million hours for this area, as well as 35,000 hours for the Cartagena shipyard derived from the engines, and 35,000 for Navantia Sistemas derived from the IPMS. That makes a total of 1,800 jobs until 2020.

Besides, this contract includes a significant amount of participation from Australian industry, with companies such as Raytheon as supplier of the Communication System, Saab Australia as supplier of the Combat System, Scientific Management Associates (SMA) as suppliers of engineering services and Baker and Provan as supplier of cranes.

In relation to Support, all the sustainment activities will be performed in Australia (NSW and WA) with Navantia Australia and its subcontractors, which has been partnering with Australian companies since 2007.

-ends-
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 07:28 PM

Naval Shipbuilding a Boon for Australian economy

(Source: Australian Department of Defence; issued Nov 28, 2018)

The strong boost to Australia’s economy from the Coalition’s sovereign Naval Shipbuilding Plan has been further confirmed through an Oxford Economics report on the Hunter class future frigate program.

Minister for Defence, the Hon Christopher Pyne MP, said the modelling vindicated the Coalition Government’s determination to develop a sovereign naval shipbuilding capability in Australia.

“The Oxford Economics report emphasises the important role the Hunter class program and the broader naval shipbuilding enterprise play in Australia’s economic growth and the ongoing development of our skilled workforce,” Minister Pyne said.

The modelling estimates the Hunter class program will contribute $17 billion to the national economy and over 6,300 full-time jobs will be generated across Australia at the program’s peak in 2028.

“The Government is investing $90 billion in continuous naval shipbuilding to deliver the critical capabilities the Navy needs for decades into the future to defend the nation and its interests.

The Coalition’s commitment to building 55 vessels in Australia using Australian steel and Australian workers is also delivering great benefits to the Australian economy.

The report states over 500 Australian businesses have been pre-qualified to be part of the Hunter class supply chain.

The Australian steel industry will benefit in particular with approximately 48,000 tonnes of steel required.

“As well as the direct contributions to our national economy, the Hunter class program will enhance technical knowledge in Australia’s naval shipbuilding enterprise,” Minister Pyne said.

“Australia’s shipbuilding sovereignty is being guaranteed through the Hunter class program, with ASC Shipbuilding constructing the frigates.”

-ends-
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 08:53 PM

First RAN Anzac-class frigate completes mid-life capability assurance programme

Julian Kerr, Sydney - Jane's Navy International

28 November 2018

The first of eight Royal Australian Navy (RAN) Anzac-class frigates has completed an extensive mid-life capability assurance programme (AMCAP) that includes the inaugural installation of a second-generation CEAFAR2-L active phased array air search radar.

The AMCAP forms the major work element within an AUD2 billion (USD1.4 billion) Warship Asset Management Agreement signed in April 2016. Under the eight-year programme, BAE Systems Australia, Saab Australia, Naval Ship Management, and the Australian government are jointly supporting the 3,600-tonne Anzac-class frigates until their replacement in the 2030s under Project Sea 5000 by nine Hunter-class Future Frigates based on BAE Systems' Type 26 Global Combat Ship.

(126 of 624 words)
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-12-2018 at 09:25 PM

Naval Ship Management awarded contract to sustain Australian LHDs

Gabriel Dominguez, London - Jane's Defence Weekly

03 December 2018

The Australian Defence Force (ADF) has awarded Naval Ship Management (NSM) Australia, a 50/50 joint venture between engineering group UGL and Babcock, an AUD1.5 billion (USD1.1 billion) contract to support and sustain the Royal Australian Navy’s (RAN’s) two 26,800-tonne Canberra-class landing helicopter dock ships (LHDs) and their 12 associated amphibious landing craft for up to 15 years.

The contract is for an initial five years, with the expectation of two further five-year extensions, Babcock announced in a 3 December statement, adding that its share for the first five years amounts to AUD250 million.

The joint venture, which won the partnering agreement with the ADF in a competitive process, will begin to sustain and support these vessels in July 2019.

(143 of 251 words)
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 10:41 AM

Opportunities for Local Companies in Future Submarine Program

(Source: Australian Department of Defence; issued Dec 04, 2018)

Local companies are being encouraged to get involved and seek opportunities in Australia’s Future Submarine Program.

Minister for Defence, the Hon Christopher Pyne MP, has welcomed the latest Future Submarine Program Industry Day which will be held on the 5th of December at the Adelaide Convention Centre.

“The $50 billion program will see Australia’s Future Submarines built in Australia, by Australians, using Australian steel,” Minister Pyne said.

“These industry forums are valuable events for Australian businesses of all sizes to learn how they can contribute to the build and sustainment phases of the Future Submarine Program.

“The forums are very important for maximising Australian industry involvement in the construction and support of the submarine fleet, creating job opportunities across Australia.

Officials from Defence, Naval Group Australia and Lockheed Martin Australia will brief industry about how they can take advantage of the opportunities from this major Defence program.

“Up to 700 people are expected to attend, with the event open to any supplier interested in becoming part of the supply chain for the Future Submarines.”

This is the 14th Submarine Industry Day held since 2016 with events having taken place in all capital cities.

Industry days will continue across Australia in 2019, keeping local companies informed on how they can be involved in the program.

-ends-
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 12:30 PM

BAE Systems Welcomes Industry to Adelaide for Collaboration on the Hunter Class Frigate Program

(Source: BAE Systems; issued Dec 03, 2018)

BAE Systems Australia is this week hosting the country’s leading Defence companies and some of the biggest names in the global Defence industry to collaborate on opportunities for the $35 billion Hunter Class Frigate Program.

The Hunter Class and Global Access Program event is being held at the Adelaide Convention Centre on December 3-4, and brings together around 100 Australian businesses and 30 Original Equipment Manufacturers who are partners on the program, including Saab, Rolls-Royce, Raytheon Anschutz, Ultra, MTU, Penske Power Systems, Naval Group and Thales.

Over two days, the Australian companies will be given the opportunity to pitch business ideas to supplier representatives visiting from the United Kingdom, United States, Germany, France and Denmark, some of whom will showcase equipment that has been shipped to Adelaide.

Major international suppliers can then choose to engage further with Australian companies, which will result in the transfer of technology, further strengthening an enduring shipbuilding industry in Australia.

As well as engaging with global suppliers, Australian companies can use the event as an opportunity to network with each other, potentially leading to further local collaboration.

BAE Systems Australia Hunter Class Frigate Program Managing Director Nigel Stewart said:

“Under the Hunter Class Frigate Program we will deliver nine of the world’s most advanced anti-submarine warships to the Royal Australian Navy, providing a generational opportunity for the Australian shipbuilding industry.

“Industry engagement plays an essential role in Defence capability, which is why this two-day networking event is a fantastic opportunity for Australian businesses to engage with our global suppliers, who are already doing great things with us on the program.

“We are committed to working with our major suppliers and ensuring local businesses understand the opportunities available in the program, and we hope this event leads to new opportunities for Australian industry, both on Hunter and for future exports.

“The Hunter program is making significant progress and we are proud of the strong collaborative relationships already formed with Defence, the Navy and our industry partners.

“This event, which will be attended by more than 300 people, is the next step on to ensuring we deliver world class capability to the Royal Australian Navy and build strong sovereign capability for decades to come.

-ends-
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 09:07 AM

Agreement close on SPA for Australia’s Future Submarine programme

Julian Kerr, Sydney - Jane's Navy International

11 December 2018

Agreement in principle between Australia’s Department of Defence (DoD) and French submarine builder Naval Group on a vital Strategic Partnering Agreement (SPA) for Australia’s Future Submarine programme is anticipated by 21 December, according to sources close to the protracted negotiations.

The overarching SPA is intended to set out terms and conditions that will endure for the entire AUD50 billion (USD36 billion) Sea 1000 construction programme, avoiding the need to renegotiate a known set of provisions as work transitions from phase to phase.

The negotiations began in early 2017 and since then have alternated between France and Australia, although the four sessions since October have all taken place in Canberra.

(109 of 403 words)
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 09:38 AM

Minehunters Achieve More Firsts for RAN

(Source: Royal Australian Navy; issued Dec 11, 2018)

HMA Ships Gascoyne and Huon have notched up a number of achievements during the ships' north east Asian deployment - first mine located by sonar and by divers during an exercise conducted with the Republic of Korea Navy; HMAS Gascoyne was the first Royal Australian Navy (RAN) Minehunter to visit Kure Naval Base in Japan; and, along with sister ship HMAS Huon, the first RAN Mine Warfare vessels to sail over 4000 miles north of Australia.

During the Tri-lateral Mine Warfare Exercise (MIWEX) with the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) and the United States Navy (USN), Gascoyne and Huon achieved another milestone while secured alongside JMSDF Ship Bungo in the waters off the south coast of Japan. During the ‘rafting up’ evolution, Gascoyne conducted replenishment by taking onboard fresh water, becoming the first RAN vessel and Australian Minehunter to replenish with Bungo.

Commander Task Group and Commanding Officer of HMAS Gascoyne, Lieutenant Commander Richard Brickacek said he was proud of both crews who completed the task at short notice with excellent seamanship and safety on display.

“I am appreciative of the JMSDF for the opportunity to exercise our maritime skills,” said LCDR Brickacek.

“The ability for a RAN ship to practice this activity during a major exercise is quite significant.

“Combining this with the opportunity to share the knowledge with a regional partner contributes greatly to the unit’s operations and endurance.

“We have successfully proven this capability for any future interaction with the JMSDF for the RAN Minehunters,” said LCDR Brickacek.

-ends-
bug2

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 09:40 AM

With the current number of Mine-hunters we have, we'd be lucky to keep ONE national port open............
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23

Go To Top