Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: Chinese Navy 2017 onwards
unicorn

Mood: Resignedly Sceptical

[*] posted on 25-9-2019 at 02:39 PM

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed,
the lips acquire stains,
the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion
magnify

[*] posted on 26-9-2019 at 11:08 PM

Boxy!
DEW

[*] posted on 27-9-2019 at 08:48 AM

So many targets. Will there be enough Mk 48 MOD 7s to go around? :)
bug2

[*] posted on 18-10-2019 at 09:53 AM

Exclusive: Satellite Images Reveal China's Aircraft Carrier 'Factory,' Analysts Say (excerpt)

(Source: Reuters; published October 17, 2019)

By Greg Torode, Michael Martina

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/i/status/1184756575753388033

HONG KONG/BEIJING - High-resolution satellite images show that the construction of China’s first full-sized aircraft carrier is progressing steadily alongside expansive infrastructure work that analysts say suggests the ship will be the first of several large vessels produced at the site.

The images of the Jiangnan shipyard outside Shanghai were taken last month and provided to Reuters by the non-partisan Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), building on satellite photos it obtained in April and September last year.

Noting a series of pre-fabricated sections, bulkheads and other components stacked nearby, CSIS analysts say the hull should be finished within 12 months, after which it is likely to be moved to a newly created harbor and wharf before being fitted out.

The vast harbor on the Yangtze River estuary, including a wharf nearly 1 kilometer long and large buildings for manufacturing ship components, is nearly complete. Much of the harbor area appeared to be abandoned farmland just a year ago, according to earlier images CSIS analyzed.

It dwarfs an existing harbor nearby, where destroyers and other warships are docked.

“We can see slow but steady progress on the hull, but I think the really surprising thing these images show is the extensive infrastructure buildup that has gone on simultaneously,” said CSIS analyst Matthew Funaiole.

“It is hard to imagine all this is being done for just one ship,” he added. “This looks more like a specialized space for carriers and or other larger vessels.”

Singapore-based military analyst Collin Koh said the modern, purpose-built facility on a sparsely populated island in the Yangtze may provide better security than the congested shipyards of Dalian in northern China. It could also help deepen co-operation between commercial and military shipbuilders.

(end of excerpt)

Click here for the full story, on the Reuters website.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-military-carrier-ex...

-ends-
bug2

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 09:42 AM

China's Second Aircraft Carrier Prepares for Commissioning Ceremony: Report

(Source: Global Times; published Oct. 30, 2019)

China's first domestically made aircraft carrier docks at the Dalian Shipyard in Northeast China's Liaoning Province after returning from her series of eight sea trials. (Chinese internet photo)

China's second aircraft carrier, the first domestically built, appears to be preparing for a possible commissioning ceremony since it returned from its eighth sea trial, photos and videos showed.

Troops in white naval uniforms lined the warship's flight deck on the morning of October 24 and practiced an inspection ceremony, Hong Kong-based news website wenweipo.com reported on Tuesday.

A barge loaded with a crane approached the bow of the ship, as workers on the crane painted a huge "1" on the ship's hull, according to photos and videos posted in the wenweipo.com report.

However, the number has since been erased and no further markings were visible as of Tuesday, the report said.

"Painting a hull number is usually a sign that a warship is about to join military service," a military expert who asked not to be named told the Global Times on Wednesday.

The moves mentioned in the report could indicate that the aircraft carrier will be commissioned soon, military enthusiasts said.

China's first aircraft carrier Liaoning was delivered and commissioned to the PLA Navy on September 25, 2012 in Dalian after years of refitting and sea trials. Then president and Central Military Commission chairman Hu Jintao endorsed the naming certificate of Liaoning in a commissioning ceremony, the Xinhua News Agency reported then.

Hu and then premier Wen Jiabao oversaw the ceremony, as Navy honor guards received inspection on board of the ship, according to the Xinhua report.

The Liaoning has the hull number 16, and many military observers expect the yet-to-be-named second carrier will bear the number 17.

The second aircraft carrier is moored at the Dalian Shipyard in Northeast China's Liaoning Province, after it returned from its eighth sea trial held between October 15 and 20, wenweipo.com reported.

Military experts told the Global Times as the carrier first set out on its eighth sea trial the voyage would likely serve as an examination of the warship's readiness for final delivery, and that they expected the ship to be commissioned into the Chinese Navy this year.

-ends-
bug2

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 09:44 AM

Ahhh great! That's TWO second-class, Soviet-based build & design/build that they now have in service, along with the second-class "naval" fighters that carry half-warloads when using the Ski Jumps...………….
unicorn

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 11:57 AM

True, but that's still better capability than most navy's have, or are likely to have.

The RAN for example

the lips acquire stains,
bug2

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 12:04 PM

…………….and that can instantly change IF we have F-35B's on the LHD's whenever necessary! :cool:
unicorn

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 02:07 PM

The RAN seems to be as opposed to that concept as the RAAF.

the lips acquire stains,
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top